I don’t like the term “Resolution”. It sounds so final. I much prefer to go with goals. For some reason, I haven’t really blogged about my yearly goals before (probably because I don’t want to be reminded when I drop them sometime around February…)
Here are a few things that I want to focus on throughout the year:
– Now some of you may already know this, but a few days before I left home for the holidays, my desktop computer had a minor explosion. After careful examination, I’m quite certain it’s the power supply that blew, which is cool because it means my hard drives should be intact. Though at first I was pretty annoyed by this turn of events, I can’t help but think it’s really for the best. You see, my computer is in my room, facing my bed. It’s always on and a constant source of background noise. Silence and stillness scare me. I think this may be a sign that I need to stop making so much noise and get used to sitting in the quiet for a little while. In addition, my second set of headphones has now died on me. I think I may take my time in replacing them, just so I pay more attention to the world around me when I’m out. (That said, if any computer people out there know if it’s best to simply replace the power supply or get a new computer, please let me know! I will need to get this fixed eventually, just not right now.)
– I’ve also got my laptop. Unfortunately, I’ve gotten into a really nasty habit (even before my desktop broke down) of using my laptop on my bed. I’m finding it to be somewhat unhealthy. I’m on my computer all the time and yet I’m quite often distracted from my work by video games and online TV shows. I’ve decided that I won’t be using my laptop in my room anymore and I’m reclaiming my dining room table (which will disappoint the cat, I’m sure). I’m also going to be scheduling specific time to work on stuff. It’s time I stop multi-tasking and focus on just one thing at a time. If my trip to China taught me anything, it’s that the world did not blow up when I was away from my computer for a week (not saying I’m going to be away from my computer for a week, but I’m going to be cutting back). My bed will now solely be used for sleeping, movie watching, and well, that other thing you do in bed… let’s see if it’s going to be a good year or not.
– Speaking of scheduling work time, I’ve decided to set aside three hours a week where I will do nothing but write plays. It’s time I take responsibility for my writing and quit flaking out on it so much. Once I know my new work schedule (yes, I’m starting a new job this year, more on that in tomorrow’s post!), my writing time will be fixed and nothing can interrupt it (except maybe an audition, in which case I must immediately reschedule said writing time).
– I’m going to complete a 5K race. I’ve been training for some time now and I am almost ready. If this goes well, I may upgrade to 10K before the year is over. I’ve also been looking into a Try a Tri (5K race, 10K bike ride, 200m swim) – this may or may not happen this year, but I’m working towards it. Note to self, get a bike.
– Oh and there’s another kind of bike I really want to get my hands on. I’m being deliberately vague here because of certain people who might be reading. If you’re curious, just ask me in private.
– I’ve got a new agent in Ottawa and I’m pretty thrilled about it.
I’m hoping I know this is going to lead to bigger and better audition opportunities in 2010. That said, my agent handles Ottawa and Montreal so I’m still looking for someone to represent me in Toronto. My goal for 2010? Get a Toronto agent and be triple carded (ACTRA, Equity and UdA) by the end of the year.
– Keep taking classes and gain new skills. I love learning. I’m an eternal student and I don’t plan on stopping this year. I’d like to pursue more classes in voice, movement, and clown this year, but I won’t be limiting myself to just that. Perhaps some dancing might be in the cards?
– Travel more! Is it weird that I actually love living out of my suitcase and sleeping on other people’s couches? I don’t know if it’s in the cards, but I’d love to do another big trip in 2010. I’ve got the bug! Perhaps this might finally be the year I visit Vancouver for the first time as well?
A couple goals I’ve had for years now but I’ve never truly acted on – we’ll see if 2010 will be any different:
– I’ve had a violin for almost two years and I still don’t know how to play it. This needs to change! If anyone has some links they could send me on learning the violin online (I know the NAC has something like that, but I can’t seem to find it at the moment).
– Learn another language. My Spanish is very basic and I want it to get better.
– Get out of credit card debt. It’s doable (and I’ll talk about work a bit more tomorrow), but it just never seems to go away, does it?
I’m going to leave it at this for now. I’m curious to know what some of your goals might be for the New Year. Please feel free to post in the comment section and let me know!